Sunday, September 16, 2012

Marilyn: Retro Summer

As you may or may not know, I've been a Marilyn Monroe-addict/obsessor since I was about five years old. I can't get enough! For over 20 years now, I've read nearly every book I can find on her. In college I even wrote my thesis on her a few years back. I find her adorable and completely fascinating, both inside and out. For over 6 years I've ran the largest fan blog on LiveJournal dedicated to MM, and I keep most of my Marilyn-info on that page. But on this blog I think I will still have to put up the occasional bit of MM eye-candy or interesting facts.
Today I'm feeling a little blue that summer is ending next week, and I wanted to put up some summer-time photos of Marilyn that will keep the season going for a few more days.

Enjoy.

^how cute is this little magazine spread? Marilyn and three other contract players on an outing to the pool, circa 1951 ^from the same shoot ^these last two pictures were taken at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. They removed this diving board years ago, but the bungalows in the back right of this picture are still there, and their balcony/flowered-rim still looks exactly the same! And on a related note, Marilyn actually stayed in one of these upper-level bungalows on-and-off for two years when her career was just beginning. If you request to stay in her room, the staff will book it for you! Underneath that balcony there is now a large bar, and it is so fun to go to this "Tropicana Bar" on hot nights and sit outside by the pool ordering frosty drinks! I was actually just there the other night with friends, and I kept thinking of this photo shoot Marilyn had done there. I took this photo the other night, sitting by the pool and looking up at the hotel.
Hope you liked the photos! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment