Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012 in a few pictures

I haven't posted much on here in the past year, which I plan to do more of moving forward, now that I have a bit more time on my hands. I don't feel right to just not post anything about the 2012 that just went by though - especially when so many exciting and fun things went on! Things that I happen to have pretty great pictures of, too.

I thought I'd deposit some of those pictures here, to share and to remember with. Bon appétit... I won't go through every last detail of my year, but my birthday? Was fun. So a few pics of that... Friends and I went to La Descarga, on Western Avenue just south of Hollywood Boulevard. I'd been wanting to visit for awhile, and this place didn't disappoint. Upon arrival, you are directed down a hallway where you must enter the bar - speakeasy style - through a coat closet. You must literally push aside coats to make your way in! It's quite fantastic. The vibe is 1920s Cuba. They serve tons of different types of specialty rum, and there is a smoking lounge where you can buy and enjoy cigars. Every 30 minutes or so a young lady appears on a balcony and the band plays her a tune and she performs a naughty, flamenco-flared burlesque! We had a blast. I'd highly recommend this place if you're looking for a fun night out that's off the beaten-path in LA. But be advised - email ahead to be put on the list, or you may be out of luck! ^(Not an OOTD post obviously, but I did love this vintage Betsey Johnson dress I found on Ebay. I'll have to wear it again and photograph it more, it's a real find!)

Such a fabulous night, and one of the best birthday celebrations I've had in years!



* * * *



Another fun evening that I'd like to cherry-pick a couple of photos for would be that summer night spent by the pool at the Roosevelt.
I go to the Roosevelt fairly often, but this night was special because I actually got to spend time with my gorgeous friend Brian Kinler, jazz piano musician extraordinaire. (His album Stories From The Quarter is amazing. Find it here at Amazon, for those who have good taste and love instrumental jazz.) Here he is, Mr. Handsome. I hadn't seen him since I had finished his video, so you can tell I'm happy. ^Batman wishes he could play piano like Brian.
I had a few other friends there as well, one of them celebrating a birthday! But I'll just put up one other picture from that. Yay for more birthdays on the Boulevard!




*  *  *  *




The next event that I simply MUST mention would be the Masquerade Ball I attended at The Egyptian Theatre this past October. When I bought tickets to this event, it sounded like fun - and right around Halloween - but I loved the fact that this was also the 90th Anniversary celebration for the Egyptian Theatre, as well as a costume party! I knew I had to go.
Costumes were mandatory, and in honor of the Egyptian's 1922 birthdate, we either had to be an Egyptian-themed character, or a 1920s movie star - what fun choices! At first I leaned toward the 20s flapper look, but then I decided to do Cleopatra instead. I'm glad I did; nearly everyone was dressed in 1920s glam. There were only a few people who chose the Egyptian theme, which was fantastic - you know how I love to stand out.

Photos are smaller from this night, could only take them on my phone or pull them off Instagram. (Cleopatra's clutch was too small to carry a proper camera.)
^Naturally, Caesar was my date. ^The band played in the massive courtyard out front, under the pharaoh's statues. I also love that you can see the massive searchlights in the sky above the event. ^The ceiling inside the theatre. Utterly magnificent. These cell phone photos do it no justice!

^Now I have to say, I was quite proud of how my make-up turned out! Took these shots after the party was over, on the way home.


* * * *



And last, but not least, I have to mention my friend Ariel's wedding in mid-November. It was a lovely wedding, as most weddings are, but what I really wanted to share about this event was the amazing location! She got married on Hollywood & Vine (how many people can say THAT) at the newly renovated Redbury Hotel, and it was a stunning location. Not only was it pretty, but it was full of Old Hollywood history as well as glitz and glamour.
^Needless to say, I was captivated by this photo of one of my idols, Jean Harlow

^The newlyweds!


* * * *



This post is long, and there's a lot I didn't cover... I've just got to get better about posting more frequently!
I still want to talk about that charity event I went to at The Hollywood Museum as well, but I'll save that for its own full post. This will do for now!


Happy New Year and have a great 2013!
xoxo

Instagram: MissKelleen
Tumblr: Girl Upstairs

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture of you in the Cleo costume on the moon! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete